Steve L. Hettinger, Chief
214 N. Main, Tuscola, IL 61953
South Station: 217-253-4631
DIAL 911 For Emergencies
The Tuscola Fire Department proudly protects 6000 people living in an area of 77 square miles. We operate out of 2 stations, located in the city, protecting primarily the City of Tuscola. We also protect surrounding agricultural and industrial areas. Our department is a municipal department whose members are paid on call. We operate on VHF radio frequency 158.940 MHz. For expanded operations - Douglas Co. Fire - 154.130 MHz, and MABAS, IFERN, IREACH, DEMA, and MERCI frequencies.
• The goal of the Tuscola Fire Department is to protect life and property from fire, disaster, accident, or any other emergency situation we are summoned to mitigate or assist with, to the best of our abilities, and within the scope of our training. We promote fire safety through various fire prevention activities throughout the year.
• TFD provides Tuscola and the surrounding area with fire protection, rescue, non-transport EMS service, that supports paramedic staffed, Arrow Ambulance Service, and AirLife - the air medical transport team, and fire prevention activities. We have a fully equipped Hazardous Materials Response Team that is supported by Cabot Corporation Haz Mat Team and their equipment trailer, as well as Lyondell Chemical Company Haz Mat. We provide Confined Space, Rope Rescue, and Trench Rescue services to our area. We also provide the community with severe weather monitoring by trained storm spotters and a modern voice capable siren Outdoor Warning System. We are one of only 46 communities and 14 counties in Illinois that have been designated a "StormReady Community". We are part of the Douglas County Firefighters' Association and MABAS (Mutual Aid Box Alarm System) Division 26.
In addition to the Outdoor Warning System, we also have the capability of emergency notifications using CodeRED. CodeRED is an ultra high-speed telephone communication service for emergency notifications. This system allows us to telephone all or targeted areas of the City in case of an emergency situation that requires immediate action (such as a boil-water notice, missing child or evacuation notices). The system is capable of dialing 50,000 phone numbers per hour. It then delivers our recorded message to a live person or an answering machine, making three attempts to connect to any number.
• Fire Prevention Week - 2nd week in October. Help us prevent fires by becoming informed about fire prevention. For more information, check the web site, Fire Prevention, or e-mail Asst. Chief George Wineland, or call the South Fire Station, 217-253-4631. Fire Safety House. For our neighboring departments who would like to use our Fire Safety House for their own fire prevention activities, please download the application form. Send the completed form to Chief Steve L. Hettinger at 214 N. Main St. Tuscola, IL 61953, or fax it to 217-253-5026.
To apply for a permit, please download the appropriate application form in either PDF or WORD format. Send the completed form to Chief Hettinger at 214 N. Main St. Tuscola, IL 61953, or fax it to 217-253-5026.
NOTICE: The City of Tuscola does not permit or allow "Consumer Fireworks Displays" , as defined by the State of Illinois Fire Works Use Act. Further, according to the State Fire Marshal rules, "Consumer Fireworks" cannot be sold to anyone who does not have a Consumer Fireworks Display permit, issued by the local jurisdiction.
Until all fees and a complete application are received, the application can not be processed. Fees may be paid online by going to the E-Pay link in the left-hand pane of this or any city web page.
Fire Department Personnel
|Chief Steve L. Hettinger||Chief Engineer Shane Gould||Firefighter Jim Heath|
|Assistant Chief George Wineland||Engineer Gary Kidwell||Firefighter Steve Cook|
|Lieutenant Kevin Endres||Engineer Jason Mills||Firefighter Mike Thomas|
|Lieutenant Chip Haake||Engineer Elvin Kauffman||Firefighter Chris Fowler|
|Lt / Rescue Officer Brian Moody||Engineer Nick Kidwell||Firefighter Jamey Mauzy|
|Lt / Training Officer Mark Maxey||Engineer Tim Bloomer||Firefighter Josh Cummings|
|Lt / EMS Officer Bill Hemmer||Firefighter Greg Porter|
|Chaplain Joe Carter||Firefighter Tyler Quinn|
|Rope Rescue Officer Bill Schweighart||Firefighter Todd Ray|
|Firefighter Steve Johnson|
|Firefighter Brett Adkisson|
|Firefighter Travis Gould|
|Firefighter Aaron Weaver|
|Firefighter Brian Endres|
|Firefighter Paul Shipley|
|Firefighter Elliot Harris|
|Firefighter Aaron Pierce|
|Firefighter Robert Ross|
• TFD 2009 Duty Roster/Calendar DOWNLOAD PDF
Fire Service News
Click headline for top content from Firehouse.Com
The Web's Community & Resource for Fire, Rescue, EMS & Safety
• CARBON MONOXIDE ALARM DETECTOR ACT, starting January 1, 2007, requires every dwelling unit to be equipped with at least one carbon monoxide detector within 15 feet of every room used for sleeping purposes. Every structure that contains more than one dwelling unit shall contain at least one detector within 15 feet of every room used for sleeping purposes.
For more information, call the fire department or download the CO Detector Law
• Firefighter Mike Thomas deployed to Iraq, May 1, 2009 returned home January 14, 2010.
• Patch and Coin Trades - Contact
Chief Hettinger at the Tuscola Fire Department, 214 N. Main Street, Tuscola, IL 61953,
or by email.
• To apply for membership with the Tuscola Fire Department, download the application form in either PDF or WORD format. Send the completed form to Chief Hettinger at 214 N. Main St. Tuscola, IL 61953, or fax it to 217-253-5026.
• TFD Standard Operating Procedures DOWNLOAD PDF
• TFD EMS Refusal Form DOWNLOAD PDF
• TFD CO Checklist DOWNLOAD PDF
• TFD Duty Roster/Calendar DOWNLOAD PDF
• TFD EMS Duty Roster DOWNLOAD PDF